Monday, July 23, 2012

24 Ways to Enjoy Your Crabs at The Red Crab Alimango House!

Last Friday night, the hubby and I were at Lucky Chinatown Binondo so I could attend The Red Crab Alimango House's Bloggers Night. It was raining hard and traffic was terrible but fortunately, we managed to get to the venue on time. While a lot of blogggers got late (and understandably so), it didn't stop us from enjoying the crab feast the restaurant especially prepared for us. We literally ate the night away, what with the 24 crab dishes presented to us. Gosh, that was a loooooot of crab goodness in one sitting/eating!

photo 2

At the Red Crab Alimango House - Lucky Chinatown, there are 24K or 24 ways to enjoy your crabs. It was hard remembering the exact tastes of the 24 crab dishes we had the pleasure of tasting that night, but I'll try my best to explain each of them, especially my top favorites which are pictured below:

photo 5

1. Crab Sinigang sa Sampalok. This served as the "soup" of my crab-heavy meal. It was sour and hot, perfect to warm my chilly body (because of the heavy rains). It had some vegetables so it was quite healthy, too.

photo 2

2. Crab Adobo sa Buko. I like insanely rich food, and this one is exactly like that. Imagine fatty crabs delicately stewed in aligue (crab roe) and buko (young coconut meat). I loved the rich flavor of the aligue kissing the sweet taste of buko. It's one fantastic dish that I'll never get tired of.

photo 4

3. Chinese Salted Egg Crab. This looked like breaded fried chicken to me, except that the salted egg breading was so flavorful and tasty that I ate it on its own. And with steamed rice. Perfect!

photo 5

4. Onion Crab. Fresh leeks are sauteed slowly along with other spices and thrown over freshly-cooked crabs. I paired the saucy leeks to my rice and dissected the crabs with my bare hands. I super enjoyed this!

photo 1

5. Crab Lilian. This is my top favorite. I love everything stewed in coconut milk. It's my weakness. In layman's terms, this is ginataang alimango na may kangkong at sili. Just the creamy sauce and the tender vegetables were enough to make me eat cups of rice. I just had to control myself because I was pregnant and didn't want to gain more weight than I should. :(

photo 5

6. Crab Pateros with Aligue and Balut. This was very good, too. Rich and flavorful (and cholesterol-laden, too!), I couldn't ask for more. The crabs were fresh and fatty, there was no way I could escape them. And so I ate to my heart's content and worried about the cholesterol later. Ouch.

photo 4

7. Deep Fried Crabs with Togue in Sichuan Sauce. If you're fond of spicy food, then this one's for you. The spice level is tolerable, though, unless you'll pour the hot and spicy sauce down your throat in one gulp. I liked that they put a lot of sweet-tasting togue (mung bean sprouts) in this dish to balance out the spice.

As for the rest, which was way too many to mention, I have the pictures here and the brief descriptions. Please help yourself. All I can say is that they're all delish, too, but not my faves. To each his own, I guess. Without further a do, here they are:

photo 1

8. Fidel Pepper's Crab. This crab is delicately flavored with five secret spices and mixed with lots of freshly-cracked peppercorn to achieve its color. Did you know that this was named after former President Fidel Ramos? Cool, huh!

photo 5

9. Crab Alvarez. This is crab simmered in a special coconut and turmeric sauce. This dish was actually named after Chef Alvarez, the one responsible for all the yummy crab dishes at the restaurant.

photo 1

10. Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter Crab. This is deep-fried crab with noodles topped with chili, salted black beans and lots of garlic.

photo 4

11. Butter Ginger Crab. This is steamed crab tossed in a light butter, garlic and ginger sauce.

photo 2

12. Roasted Garlic Crab. This is crab sauteed in butter and roasted garlic served with chili vermicelli noodles.

photo 3

13. Crab Tausi. This is deep-fried crab sauteed in ginger, onion, tausi and oyster sauce topped with fresh tomato slices.

photo 3

14. Crab 7. This is crab steamed in lime soda served with chili, lemongrass and ginger vinegar.

photo 1

15. Salted Egg Crab. This is steamed crab in a tomato, onion and salted egg sauce served with grilled eggplant salad.

photo 2

16. Thai Chili Crab. This is crab simmered in red curry sauce and spiced with green chilies.

photo 2

17. Crab Singapura. This is fried crab in a mild spicy Singaporean style sauce served with golden fried buns.

photo 3

18. Malaysian Chili Kangkong Crab. This is a hot and spicy crab dish cooked Malaysian style with fresh kangkong.

photo 4

19. Crab Maritess. Named after Maritess Revilla-Martinez, this crab is sauteed in olive oil, garlic and fresh chilies, deglazed with white wine.

photo 5

20. Szechuan Crab. This is crab sauteed in sweet, spicy and gingery Szechuan sauce.

photo 1

21. Crab Singang sa Gabi at Kamias. This crab is cooked in a lemongrass broth with kamias and gabi.

And here are the ones I missed taking photos of (by this time, I was so stuffed already, that's why, haha):

22. Balikbayan Crab. This is sauteed crab with tuyo, garlic and tomato confit.

23. Crab Sotanghon. This is crab simmered in sweet oriental sauce served with sotanghon noodles (glass noodles).

24. Raymund's Salt and Pepper Crab. This is battered and deep-fried crab flavored with aromatic spices topped with sweet onion and onion leeks.

You can learn more about them at The Red Crab Alimango House's Official FB Page.

Size does matter. The bigger the crabs, the better. Here's the price guide to help you decide on your orders:

Middle Weight: P145.00 per 100g.
Big Crabs: P155.00 per 100g.
King Crabs: P165 per 100g.
Female Crabs (said to be the fattiest of the bunch!): P165.00 per 100g.


Nothing beats eating crabs with your bare hands! And I'm just glad to hear that Red Crab Alimango House observes high standards with respect to their precious seafood offering. Their live crabs are sourced from Davao and Zamboanga, flown in here in Manila regularly via Cebu Pacific. Now that's what you call attention to detail, getting only from the best sources.

photo 1
inside the restaurant

The Red Crab Alimango House is the perfect place to take your family to when you want to indulge in fresh crabs cooked in many different and delicious ways. It's a feast for the eyes, the stomach and the soul. Come to think of it, we all deserve a cheat day when we're allowed to eat as much crabs as we want. Just don't forget to bring meds if you have hypertension or something. Don't say I didn't warn you. :)

The Red Crab Alimango House
Reina Regente cor. Dela Reina Sts.
Brgy. 293, Zone 28
Binondo, Manila

For reservations, call (+632) 708-9578 or (+63906) 245-1202

P.S. Special thanks to my PR friend Xchosa and the Red Crab Alimango House team for the invite and the warm welcome. 'Till my next visit! :)

If you liked this post and would be interested to get updated with Foodiestation, bookmark this site or subscribe to my feeds.

4 comments:

  1. crab feast here. i guess, nothing beats crab cooked in gata ng niyog with siling labuyo and all :)

    i'm flattered that u stumble up on my site. and i am in awe...we're both novo ecijanos:) i am from bongabon...u know, the land of the sibuyas ^_^.

    i use to frequent penaranda way back in college. sadly, two of my friends there have no time for facebook :)

    and, oh, my niece lives there now, being married to a padilla (those who were in the trucking business there).

    do u still visit the place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @imriz: anything with gata is really yummy! hehe. small world talaga. ow, I don't get to visit frequently now, only once a year during Undas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg! that's a lot of crabs!! i'm so jealous right now!! Lucky Chinatown is just near my place.. should visit this soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sa Lucky China Town lang to, tamang tama malapit lang tindahan namin dyan.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
 
pacquiao vs margarito 24/7 episode 1 2 3 4 video Haagen Dazs Robinsons Place Manila | Zest Air Promos | Sikat ang Pinoy | Cheap Braces Manila manny pacquiao vs antonio margarito Pacquiao vs Margarito Live Stream